Monday, November 23, 2009

Leprechauns & Rainbows

So, my trip to Ireland actually turned into quite the interesting journey. I went with one of my friends that I met here, and we ended up missing our flight there because we didn't read the small print on our boarding passes and didn't realize we needed to get our passports checked somewhere before we went through security. So because of this we had to find a different way to get to Ireland and went by train and ferry. We took a train from London to Birmingham, spent the night in the Birmingham Airport, took a 4 hour train to Wales, and then took a ferry from Wales to Dublin (3 hours later because our first ferry was canceled due to terrible weather). We got in a whole day later than we were originally supposed to, so we only got to see Dublin in a day. We still got to see a lot, but it would have been nice to not have to rush and enjoy the city more. Dublin was really pretty, and all of the Irish people were really nice!
We went on a bus tour on Sunday and saw all of the major sights. Of course we went to the guinness factory which was pretty cool. I learned how guinness is made and at the end of the tour you get a pint of guinness in the galaxy bar which has an awesome view of the city.

There was even a rainbow that day, which I thought was sweet because when you think of Ireland you think of pots of gold at the end of a rainbow. :)

I went to a place called Kilmainham Jail, which used to hold some Irish war heroes. I got a tour of the jail including the cells, and where executions took place. The picture is me in a jail cell. I actually met some girls who were studying abroad in Spain and go to Plattsburgh State - small world!

That night we went to the Temple Bar and had a pint of guinness and listened to some traditional Irish Music to get a feel of the whole Irish culture. The picture is of me and my friend outside the bar.



Despite the problems with getting to Dublin, it was still a lot of fun. Everything was really expensive there, but I think I read that Ireland is the second most expensive country in the world, next to Finland, so that explains why. On Thursday I fly out for Barcelona to spend the weekend there. The weather is suppose to be warmer than the UK so I am hoping for that! I will be missing Thanksgiving with my family, but I think Barcelona will make up for this - I will have to have a turkey sandwich or something on Thursday!

I'll let you know how Spain is, Happy Thanksgiving! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment